Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Hello!

Hello! I live in NC and I've been sewing since about 2002. Although I toyed with the idea of sewing clothing for several years prior to that, I seriously became interested after I finished nursing school because, well, I finally had time (and I could afford a sewing machine!). My inspiration was a uber cool J. Crew leather jacket that I coveted. Never mind that I lived in Florida at the time, so I didn't really need a leather jacket. All of the cool kids had one :). Of course, my first project was not a leather jacket (the jacket is still in the virtual phase, 5 years later). I think I made a pair of capri pants, which has since gone to Goodwill, as the print has come and gone out of style. Then I made a whole bunch of PJ bottoms, an excellent project for any beginner. I still have those :)

One of the best things I ever did as a sewist was join an online community of sew-ers. The community that I love the most is at PatternReview.com. I joined this group about 6 months after I started sewing and honestly, I don't know if I would still be sewing without them. They are the nicest bunch of folks and incredible knowledgeable. I'm not as active as I used to be, but I check in on that website at least once a week to see the latest reviews of patterns and get a head's up on sales.

I wanted to start this blog so that I could have a diary of my sewing projects and how my skills and style evolves over the years. I'm currently making quite a few style changes or fit adjustments in several garments and I think it would be nice to be able to look back over what changes I've made. I'm also teaching a friend of mine to sew via email and I'll be posting those lessons as we go along. I figure that they will be helpful to someone else.

My plan is to write a little bit every time I sew, or at least update once a week. Life does get busy sometimes, so I'll just go with the flow.

Thanks for reading!

No comments: