My sister is getting married this fall and I will be her maid of honor. She wants me to wear something deep brown or burnt orange. I'm going for the brown because it will be easier to find the dress. I went dress shopping online last night and found a couple at J. Crew that will fit...I'm just pending an opinion from Teresa before I buy it. I wasn't entirely happy with either of the choices from J. Crew so I thought, well, as long as the dress is simple enough, I can make the darn thing. I even have a kwik sew dress pattern that will be very nice in a light, flowy silk and being that it's a kwik sew pattern, will be easy enough to sew up. So even though I'm likely going to buy the dress, I went ahead and cut out the pattern today anyway. It's a dress pattern that I've been meaning to get to for ages (I've owned the pattern for at least a year...maybe two...or three?). I also have plenty of fabric for a muslin...a fitted sheet that I don't use anymore. I kept it because it's a beautiful ruby color, with tone-on-tone stripes...and I thought, "that would make a pretty skirt..." I'm nutty. So anyway, if the muslin doesn't work out, I'm not out any money.
It actually turned out to be a good thing that I used the sheet for a muslin...because the dress is cut on the bias, I needed a LOT of fabric. about 1 yard more than I usually buy for projects. Once the muslin is done I will probably put the pattern away....I am overflowing in fabric right now (no pieces long enough for this project, unfortunately) and I will have to make room to store the as-yet-unpurchased-fabric for this project.